Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hungary & Croatia -- Day 12

Helen and I were picked up by a small bus at 9:45 and driven to a different harbor to get the boat for our day’s cruising tour. It was exciting making a right turn out of the hotel instead of the usual left toward the Old City.

We decided that we should have a fairly low-key final day in Croatia and that we needed to do something that related to the Adriatic since there it was – and so were we. We elected to take the all-day tour to the Elephiti Islands which included stops at 3 islands and an on-board lunch.

While we didn’t have the maximum 48 passengers allowed, the small boat was still rather full when all the tourists and the three crew members were aboard.

As we left the harbor we had a great view of the most interesting bridge on which we had driven into Dubrovnik 3 days ago.

The first stop was at Kolocep Island for 45 minutes.

I walked around the harbor area a bit and then went up (literally) toward the center of the island. Reached St. Nicholas Church in the Cemetery (the name on the sign) where I took a quick picture and hurried back. I don’t think this tour waits for latecomers.

As we headed toward the next island, one of the crew was grilling the fish and chicken (ordered ahead) we would be served for lunch.

When we reached Sipan Island, the second stop, half the passengers went onto the island while half stayed to eat. We had 45 minutes for each part of the activity. Helen and I ate in the first group.

When the meal was completed, we went onshore.

I had a couple of take-out coffees, bought three postcards, and took several pictures. There wasn’t a lot to see/do on this island given less than 45 minutes ashore.

Apparently people play water polo while vacationing; several places had “courts” set up.

Throughout the day we kept seeing this “pirate” ship. It does the same three-island tour we were on, except that no lunch is provided, and the cost is higher. Helen and I agreed we could live without the ambience of the special boat.


Sipan is the largest of the three islands and has roads and cars as indicated by the fact it is served by a ferry.

Arrived about 2 p.m. at the last and smallest island, Lopud, which was our longest stop – 3 hours.

I had taken my swimming suit along, although I doubted I’d actually swim. I prefer the water in which I immerse myself to be warmer than the Adriatic seemed to be, even along the beaches. I did walk through the water at this beach, getting wet to my knees



and dangled my feet into the water to wash off sand at this lovely rocky area. So I can honestly say I’ve been in the Adriatic Sea.






I also found a shady bench right in the middle of the semi-circular edge of the harbor and happily sat, staring out at the water, enjoying the beauty and people watching: tourists of various nationalities strolling by.

I especially enjoyed seeing a man in a white shirt adorned with a red cross and the word “ambulance” pushing his way along on a scooter. It was fun envisioning how they’d transport an injured person – four ambulance men on scooters, each holding onto the corner of a stretcher, pushing vigorously and making siren noises?! Unfortunately, I wasn’t fast enough with the camera to get a picture of him.

Walked all along the harbor and found the church of St. Mary of Spilica. It was part of a Franciscan monastery complex started in 1483. In 1516 the whole block of buildings was surrounded by a high wall as the monastery not only provided a home for the monks but served as a shelter fort for the islanders against hostile attacks. In 1808 during the Napoleonic conquests, the monks were forced to abandon the monastery. The church is still used for services.









Walked back slowly toward the boat, looking in souvenir shops along the way and checking at every restaurant to see if it accepted credit cards. I was down to my last 20 kunas (about $5.00) and didn’t want to get more at an ATM. I was finally successful at the fancy hotel near where the boat was docked. For the second time in Croatia I ordered iced coffee only to be served this fancy coffee, ice cream, and whipped cream concoction. It was very good but not the low-calorie coffee drink I’d had in mind.

The boat left Lopud Island at 5, arriving back at the Dubrovnik dock at 6:15.

Entering the harbor there was what looked to be a small lighthouse and a harbor entry signal

The boat crew wasn’t shy about requesting tips.

Ours was the first hotel on the drop-off schedule so were back at 6:30. I spent the evening downloading pictures and working on the blog, had a late dinner at the taverna at the hotel, and then packed.

Tomorrow we’re off for the airport at 9 a.m. for a LONG day of travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment