Sunday, August 10, 2014

England - July 30-31, 2014




I've been writing this as I went along, but am just now, 10 days into the trip, able to begin posting.  Since I have WiFi for another two days, I'll try to get as many entries posted as possible, but my emphasis remains doing things, not dealing with the computer, so we'll see how caught up I can get.





Off to England.  I resent that I don’t feel 100% after my fall but am grateful I’m well enough to do the trip.  And I have learned to ask for help during the past 2+ weeks of dealing with the vertebrae compression fracture, which I continue to do.  Waited at the “old folks” bench in the airport for the cart to take me to the gate.  Asked the Delta gate agent if there might be a better seat, and she put me next to an empty spot (one of only a handful on the plane).  When the call came for early boarding for those needing additional time, I was almost first in line.

The flight wasn’t too bad.  I actually got over 4½ hours sleep and didn’t stiffen up too much.  Realized that I could take the London Underground directly from Heathrow to King’s Cross railway station rather than doing the Heathrow Express to Paddington and having to change to get to King’s Cross, where,  without too long a wait or too much effort, I obtained my senior railway pass and the train ticket to Ely, my first destination.  A nice young woman on the train allowed me to use her mobile (cell phone) to call my friend to tell her what time I was arriving.  Marilyn and Vic were at the station in Ely to pick me up, drive me to their home in Witchford, and provide a lovely supper.  We had some enjoyable conversation, and I was able to get to bed early and sleep reasonably well.  Not a bad start to the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment