Saturday, February 12, 2011

At Home -- Thinking about the trip (The last post)

It is good to be home. 10 days after my return I think I've licked jet lag, and my tummy is just fine.

I am very glad I went on this trip. The gorilla viewing was wonderful, even if physically demanding. The volunteer portion of the trip was interesting, enlightening, and useful even if one to two steps past my personal comfort level. Seeing the clinic built with funds provided by my church was incredibly exciting; I am thrilled I was there for the dedication.

I had little difficulty dealing with the emotional issues being presented by poverty, people in sad situations, the unfairness of life; that was hard, but I could handle it. My primary problem (somewhat embarrassing to admit, but true) was with living with heat, dirt, inadequate toilet and shower facilities, uncomfortable sleeping. I have never liked camping or the primitive life, and those negative feelings have probably increased as I age and enjoy creature comforts even more.

Am I sorry I did the trip? Absolutely not. Would I do it again? In the same format, knowing what I now know, I would not. I have no need to see the gorillas again; that item has been crossed off my "bucket" list. I would like to go back to Uganda to see the clinic when it's up and operating and touch base with the other groups in the Tororo area. Since that can be done from a hotel room, I would be willing to do that. The Nyaoga portion (where my lodging in the staff housing was superior to that of the other half of the group but in my "not acceptable" range), I would not repeat. At least I say that now. However, I have learned that one should never say never. . . .

This is the final post on Africa. I may blog on my next trip -- Hungary and Croatia in late June. Check in and find out then.

No comments:

Post a Comment