Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hungary & Croatia -- Day 5

The hotel in Fuzine, the Hotel Bitoraj.












Up at 8 for a relatively leisurely start to the day. Didn't have to be on the bus until 10:30. Despite some internet connection problems, I did get some work done on my blog (and later in the afternoon was actually able to post Days 3 & 4).

A member of the Fuzine band came along on the bus to serve as tour guide. We went first to the Vrelo Cave. (Vrelo means "spring" in Croatian.) The cave was discovered in 1950 when some limestone was being excavated. The cave is 300 meters long and is unusual in that it is level throughout making it the only handicapped-accessible cave in Europe. There were interesting formations and a deep spring at the back, 12 meters deep and incredibly clear.









We then drove a short distance (the bus driver is amazing as he maneuvered and turned on extremely narrow streets) to a small lavender farm. The plants are smaller (and, of course, the scale is smaller) than the Norfolk lavender farm I visited in England about 20 years ago.

But we enjoyed the fresh air, lovely surroundings, and opportunity to support the local economy. We were given free samples of a very light and refreshing lavender drink, but I opted against carrying a breakable bottle for the rest of the trip. Too bad, but practicality ruled. However, I did buy some crushed lavender which can be used for tea, bread, or for a soothing smell in the house.

The sign says "Selling Domestic Products." And the kids were cute.

We proceeded to the small town of Lic to visit the Ethnografska Zbeika Lic, the Ethnic Museum of Lic. It was started by a local resident who, along with his brother, thought the town’s history should be preserved so created the museum. It was small, easy to cover in 30 to 45 minutes – my kind of vacation museum! Here is our guide for the morning, a volunteer from the local band, translating for the museum founder as he described the contents of the museum, which included a beautifully-done piece of embroidery.

The bus took us to the far side of the man-made lake (opposite the town and our hotels) where members of the local band had been roasting a pig and lamb for hours. The pig was off the spit and cut up by the time we arrived, but the lamb was still cooking.

While I love lamb, I prefer not seeing my food look so much like the animal it was. Hypocritical, I know. (And I did enjoy the lamb.)

In addition to the pork and lamb, they barbecued sausages and a ground meat mixture (looked something like hamburger but was better). And the women of the band did the usual kitchen work. . . .




























Along with bread, a few tomatoes, onions, and a paprika spread, that was lunch. It was delicious, but I don’t think I have ever eaten such a quantity of meat at one meal. Quite amazing. Then the Fuzine band presented us with their “surprise:” at least 20 different kinds if homemade desserts, I sampled at least 6 to 8 of them! (Weight Watchers, forgive me – for I knew exactly what I did!).

Helen and I decided we needed some exercise so walked back to town/our hotel – all of about ¾ mile on a path running alongside the lake.

Helen then decided to bathe and rest while I used this free time to visit the tourist office, grocery store, and post office.

Then it was time to walk over to the athletic field where the concert was to be held. The Fuzine band played several numbers first. Then the two bands played several songs together, including, of course, the war horse number, Stars and Stripes Forever. The Fuzine piccolo player, a teenager, was quite amazingly good, nimble fingers flying.

The Fuzine band took the stage for three pieces, then Star of the North began their concert.

By 9 p.m., midway through their presentation, a warm day had turned chilly, and I hadn’t taken my coat along so I abandoned the concert and returned to the hotel room. When Helen came in half an hour later, she was freezing, had been fighting off mosquitoes, and squinting from trying to read her music in the dark. The difficulties of being an artiste!!

We went downstairs to the hotel restaurant for a late dinner which became even later when the hotel musician, an older man who played keyboard and sang classics – in the styles of their originators, like Louis Armstrong and Ray Charles, performed. He was delightful but at 11 p.m. I left to return to the room and, at midnight, finally get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment