Sunday, February 3, 2013

Uganda - January 31, 2013


Started my day without the normal scrambled eggs; I ordered them twice, but they didn’t arrive until I was ready to leave to get on the bus.  Mariam was waiting at the GUW office.  She is the 15-year old girl (now; only 13 when we met).  I first encountered her on my 2011 trip and have been sponsoring her for school for the last year and a half.  She successfully passed the Primary Leaving Test, pretty amazing given the limited schooling she has had, so is able to go onto secondary school.  Her first choice, Tororo Girls School, did not accept her because her scores were not high enough.  GUW staff will be working to see if she can be admitted to her second choice school.  The new school term begins in mid-February so decisions have to be made in the next few weeks.

Eunice, staff from the GUW office, accompanied Mariam and me on a shopping trip to buy her a new dress and shoes.  When I asked what I might bring her as a gift, dress and shoes were mentioned.  But it is too difficult to buy for someone whose style and size I don’t really know so confirmed with GUW staff that a shopping trip would be possible.  “Downtown” Tororo is a few blocks from the office so the three of us walked there.  Eunice knows the best shops (does her shopping there herself) so was a good guide.  Mariam found a 2-piece outfit at the first store, but no shoes.  Had to go on to a second store for those.  I was surprised at the styles she chose (so it was good she was doing the picking), but the selection looked great on her – very sophisticated and adult-looking.  We didn’t have time to do the shopping I’d wanted for a dress for me as we hurried back to the office in order to head out to the clinic.  Got there to see Cammie and Anika leaving – to change money.  Finally everyone was assembled, and at 10:40 we headed for the Kayoro Health Centre site on the bus.

We arrived about 11:15 to find (no surprise) that nothing was happening in terms of the Opening Ceremony.  Mariam, who had ridden on the bus with us, wanted me to meet her family.  Because she is a total orphan, her guardian is her father’s brother and his wife.  The aunt was very pleasant.  Of course, she talked about the financial difficulties represented by her own children and the orphans.  I’m sure it’s true, but sometimes it seems that everyone is asking for money – directly or subtly.

We chatted for a while; her English is pretty good.  I recognized her as a Kayoro group member,  one of the community health nurses, a training session for whom I observed on my last trip.  Mariam tried on her new dress and shoes; looked quite good.  I took her picture in the new outfit with her aunt, outside their home. 


After she changed back to her previous clothes which looked incredibly hot to me (sweatshirt material and a hood!), we all walked back to the clinic – where nothing was still going on!  Took a picture of Mariam and me and of the three of us.  
































Then we separated; Mariam had to go with the children to practice a musical number, and her aunt went to sit with the Kayoro group members in their tent.


Then began the real waiting game.  The Ugandan Minister for Health was coming from Kampala, but her scheduled arrival time kept being put back.  The MCs tried to keep things going, but it was difficult.  Some events could take place before her arrival, but those in charge of the event definitely wanted her to hear most of the speeches.  So we sat around trying not to melt.  Fortunately, I'd positioned myself in a back row so I could get up and move around easily, and, even after the serious speeches began, I could read my Nook or have a bite to eat.  It was generally pretty tedious.

The children's group sang one song and later came back with Mariam singing the solo part.  By the time I realized it was she and tried to get a picture, she was turning around, and all I could see was her back.  Still I was the proud sponsor!



























There was singing by four members of the clinic staff.  I wonder how many medical facilities could come up with a group of over 50% of their staff who sing so well.



There was also singing by an adult choir made up of Kayoro Community members.  Another pretty impressive group.


And there was dancing.  Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that because I was too busy out there dancing myself.  Apparently only the women dance; all seven of us volunteers joined in and had a great, if incredibly hot, time moving around dancing and greeting all of the women out there.

The minister arrived, driving into the compound, getting out of her car, and ceremoniously processing to the table of honor where she was seated with Dr. Epuate, the chair of the clinic committee, Father Olaboro, the chair of GUW Uganda board, and our own Cammie Beattie, representing the volunteers and St. John the Evangelist.


Some speeches began before the Minister arrived, but most occurred after she came.  There were many, and they were flowery and long.  The Ugandan structure of government has many layers, and each had to have a representative who spoke.  The best speeches, from my perspective, were those of the women:  GUW Director (Katie speaking on behalf of Anika who was called away), Volunteer speaker (Cammie), and the Minister herself.
































Note that the Minister gets an umbrella for shade unlike any of the other speakers.  Status obviously has its privileges!  She began speaking at 3:30 p.m. which was a good two hours behind schedule.  She finished at 4 p.m. at which time the caterer began putting out food for the Kayoro community.  The honored guests, including the Minister and us volunteers, returned to the Prime Hotel for our "lunch."  I presented the packets of St. John's Christmas cards I had put together (one of each of the four years we have had cards supporting the clinic project) for Dr. Epuate and the other 6 members of the clinic board, Father Olaboro of the GUW board, and the local GUW and clinic staff.

After a 4 p.m. lunch we had a light supper (pizza) about 8, after which I did some computer work, including sending some of the pictures from the opening ceremony to key people at St. John's.  Then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment