Monday, May 16, 2016

Japan & Korea - May 13 and 14, 2016



Not a great start for the trip. – The plane was over an hour late in leaving and was jammed full (I don’t think there was an empty seat).  But at least I had invested in Delta Comfort so had those extra 4 inches of leg room, and most of the time was made up before landing.  It seems that Japanese Passport Control has the same problems that exist in the U.S.:  too few agents for flight arrivals that seem timed to coincide.  Although a number of people on our flight were apparently transferring to other flights, a full plane of Thai tourists from Bangkok landed at the same time, so the wait was long.

On the positive side I readily found an ATM to change money, the details I’d been provided about transport to my hotel were correct, and the limousine bus was efficiently organized with fairly clear instructions and helpful staff. 



Arrived at the Grand Pacific Hotel Le Daiba about 5:20 p.m. on 5/14, sleep deprived but otherwise okay.  The area appears new; I suspect the land was reclaimed from industrial use along the river or may have been created through filling.  When the bell person opened the drapes, this was the view I saw from the 23rd floor.  Imagine my surprise to see the Lady Liberty replica.  I’m not sure the reason why the statue was placed where it is, but it is a focal point of the area.























The hotel room is quite nice with a lovely tub and lots of hot water.  There is also one of those fancy toilets!  Given my (disastrous) experience in Korea several years ago, I'm smart enough to leave the control mechanism alone (although at least this one has instructions in English) and to know that the flush mechanism is elsewhere.

 

When I went out in search of some food about 7 p.m., I found a lively social scene with lots of people wandering around, shopping, eating, and enjoying the pleasant evening weather. 






















Food seems to be expensive here, not surprising I guess; it is a big city.  Anyway, I ended up at the Longboard Café California Drive In with an “American” hot dog (I’d never seen one quite that long and skinny in the U.S.), chips, and a Coke Zero which cost the equivalent of a little over $11.00.  Once the tour begins in a few days at least some of the meals are included (and so already paid for).


















To bed at 10, having been up for 27+ hours (other than a couple of hours dozing on the plane).

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it and got some sleep and food. Looks pretty American so far!

    ReplyDelete