Friday, May 20, 2016

Japan & Korea – May 16, 2016



Today was overcast although still warm and pleasant; probably just as well the sun isn’t out since I got a bit of sunburn yesterday.  Decided again to start the day with a boat ride – an easy, if more time consuming, way to get to places.  Unfortunately, the boat company I’d planned to use was closed today so I had to wait to use the other company and was required to change boats at Hinde Pier.  At least the boat for the first leg of the trip was interesting/different.  To me it looked like something from Star Trek.  The boat I was on did have a fenced area on top where passengers could stand and enjoy the views.


 


























I successfully caught the second boat for the trip up the Sumidagawa River to Asakusa.  The boat was quite full, and there were some obnoxious children screaming and running around which caused me to stand at the front, mostly out of their way.  We passed under a lot of bashi (bridges), some lovely, some just functional.  On view throughout much of the trip was the Tokyo Skytree, a tower designed for tourists to compete with the older Tokyo Tower and seen in the center of the second photo below.




















At the end of the trip we saw this strange sculpture atop a commercial building.  Apparently it's the headquarters of a beer company. -- But I don't understand the symbolism of the sculpture.


Successfully found my way the few blocks from the dock to the shop-lined street which leads to Asakusa Kannon Temple.  The stores are typical souvenir and food stalls but make for a festive (and crowded) entry to the temple.




According to legend the temple was founded in 628 by three fishermen who had found a statuette of the Goddess Kannon when they hauled in their nets.  Although the buildings have been destroyed many times, they still retain their original appearance because they were restored authentically after each disaster.

The main entrance is the Kaminari-mon Gate (known as Thunder Gate) with its 10-foot high paper lantern.  People purify themselves with incense, believing the smoke will drive away illnesses (I held my nose and rushed by), before entering the temple.






















The site is large with other significant buildings constructed over the years.



Tokugawa Iemitsu (1604-51) founded Asakusa Shrine in honor of the three fishermen who found the statue of the Goddess Kannon (which caused the temple to be built).



















The 5-storied pagoda is impressive to see.  The pagoda burned during WWII in 1945 and was reconstructed in 1973.  There are a variety of statues scattered around the grounds.


















I had noticed these two young kimono-clad ladies taking pictures of one another.  When they saw me watching, they asked if I would take a photo of the two of them together which I was happy to do.  I then felt okay in asking them if I could take a picture as well.




Upon leaving I noticed this straw “sculpture” on the back of the entry gate.  Fortunately there was an explanation, in English as well as Japanese, that these are (there were two, one on each side) traditional straw sandals (in giant size).  “Wishing for being goodwalkers many people will touch this O-Waraji.”  They were made by 800 citizens of Murayama City for presentation to Asakusa.




Being somewhat exhausted (lots of walking and lots of people), I headed for the subway station about 2:15 intending to take the Asakusa Line, thus adding another subway line to my list.  However, I stumbled across a Ginza Line station first which would get me where I needed to go, taking only a few minutes longer.  Obviously I took it.

Had a restful evening in the room catching up on stuff and receiving a call from the guide from my tour which begins tomorrow confirming our meet time.  Then at 9:25, while sitting at the desk, I felt as if the whole building were shaking very briefly, followed by what I can only describe as being in a boat gently rocked by waves from a passing boat.  I quickly concluded that I had experienced an earthquake (and could cross that experience off my bucket list).  It wasn’t scary, just interesting.  I learned the next day that it had been a 5.4 quake centered about 200 km from Tokyo; downtown we felt about a scale 3 quake.  Quite enough for me.  It must have been somewhat unsettling, because, despite being tired, I couldn’t get myself to bed and to sleep until 12:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment