Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Iceland Continued

Third time's the charm (I hope). Have been having a DREADFUL time with uploading pictures again. The post has been published twice, in a totally unfinished state, so I've had to keep retrying. One last time then it's off to bed no matter what. As with the Korea blog, the problem is uploading the pictures. Blogger decides where they'll go whether that makes any sense or not. FRUSTRATING!!! I have to try to remember what one must do to outfox the all-knowing computer system. . . .

Will try again with some pictures from yesterday's activities.

This is the Reykjavik harbor. Note the sunshine and calm water. Quite a lovely day.


This is the boat I was
on for the whale
watching trip. Smaller
than many but quite
fast.





The company was named Puffin Express, as shown by the flag flying over the boat.


While wandering around the area near my hotel I saw some very interesting paintings on buildings surrounding an open area used as a pathway from one street to another. They made me think of Bill Lindeke and his urban landscapes.





Fun, huh?








Today (Wed., Aug.18) after a leisurely breakfast, identical to yesterday's choices, I started out by walking to the highest point in the city to the church which can be seen from anywhere in Reykjavik. The Hallgrimskirkja is quite impressive. Begun in 1945 it wasn't dedicated until 1968. It's quite modern and quite lovely.


The interior is simple but magnificent. The altar area has plain windows allowing natural light to come through; the large organ is at the rear. And in between are reversible pews. One can face forward for church and backward for concerts. Clever, those Icelanders. . . .


















I visited three museums. The Einar Jonsson sculpture garden was in a lovely setting given that today's weather was equally sunny and even warmer than yesterday's. Jonsson (1874-1954) was Iceland's first recognized sculptor. His work is realistic and allegorical, really quite complex to view. I liked most of it. A couple of examples: On the left is Thor Wrestling with Age; on the right is Earth.































There is a lot of sculpture scattered throughout downtown Reykjavik. I had a map with various statues denoted which I followed as I wandered around.

The second museum I just happened upon: Reykjavik 871 plus/minus 2. When digging the foundation for the Hotel Centrum in downtown Reykjavik, the workman uncovered a 10th century longhouse. Further excavation turned up a wall dating from 871 (plus or minus 2 years), the oldest relic of human habitation in Iceland. So they built a museum on the site focusing on Iceland's settlement. In the center of the exhibit are the actual longhouse remains; surrounding that on all walls are excellent displays including some amazing use of digital interface. Amazingly well done and interesting.


The National Museum of Iceland has a two floor permanent exhibition tracing Iceland's cultural history from settlement in the 9th century to the modern day. It was almost overwhelming, and my feet did get tired. But it was very well done, very interesting, and free (Wednesday there's no charge).

I walked back from the Museum along Tjornin, a small lake that abuts the downtown. The wind had picked up while I was in the museum, and it had cooled down a bit -- but was still a lovely walk. Many ducks and gulls on the lake. While not as messy as our Canada geese, one still had to walk carefully.

City Hall building across the water; the specks on the lake are ducks and gulls hoping for handouts.

While the city complex is flashier than the Parliament building, I liked much better the 19th century building next to a lovely city park (where I along with many city dwellers ate lunch).

I was going to finish the day (before finding dinner somewhere) with a comedy performance on Reykjavik's history. However, I was the only patron. While I didn't mind being the only person watching the volcano erupting movie yesterday, I thought there'd be too much pressure being the only one in the audience and two live performers for a 50-minute performance. They were willing, but I opted out. Maybe tomorrow if I get back from my tour in time.

Ended up back at the vegetarian restaurant for dinner. Will have to find someplace different tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Shirley,

    The views are beautiful. The cathedral was simplistic and gorgeous! Hope you are having a time!

    Tammi

    ReplyDelete