Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Worcester - 8-31-10








Pictures (from the top)
Ye Olde Talbot Hotel
My bathroom, down steps
The Guildhall (and location of the Tourist Office)
The Severn and a lot of swans
Worcester Cathedral
Tomb of King John
The Commandery Building & Museum
Friar Street -- If crookedness proves age, this building is authentic!
Took a taxi from the Lowesmoor Basin to Ye Olde Talbot Inn. Reasonable location, reasonable price, and in-room WiFi. All one could ask for. . . . The hotel is made up, it seems, of at least a couple of older buildings that have been cobbled together. From the reception desk to my room: stairway with 14 steps, left around steps, through a door and into the guest lounge. Across the lounge, through a door, go 4 feet, down 1 step, 4 more feet. Turn right, up 1 step, 12 feet, down 2 steps. Move through about 25 feet of hallway, up 3 steps, turn, up 3 steps, turn and go through a door, 8 more feet of hallway and there is my room. Quite a trip. And within my room, it's 3 steps down into the bathroom!
It's kind of amazing to realize that for 8 days there was no TV, radio, computer, or newspapers. Will need to do careful re-entry. It was really very pleasant to be "out of time" for that period. Now I'm back in the "real" world.
After arriving at the hotel I spent a little time trying to catch up on e-mail and my blog. Then I headed out to see some of Worcester. Went to the Tourist Office to get some information;I did decline the suggestion of a river cruise. The Tourist Office was in the Guildhall, one of those overdone buildings, probably Victorian. Stopped by a Boots Chemist (drugstore) to pick up some cold medications since I'm sure a cold is here; hope it's short-lived. Then went to the train station to doublecheck on the time for tomorrow's train to Southampton.
By that time I'd spent about an hour in the crowded shopping district. After 8 days of peace, quiet, and few people, the number of people and effort of being an on-foot tourist were wearing me down. So I headed for the river and walked along it to reach Worcester Cathedral. It's the burial place of King John, the infamous king against whom the Magna Carta was created. Arthur, older brother of King Henry VIII and first husband of Katherine of Aragon, is also buried here.
From the Cathedral I went to the Commandery, a building which has been in use since the late 1400s. It has been set up to tell the story of what was going on at 6 different time periods in the life of the building. It was interesting, but confusing. There need to be some better presentation techniques. One of the time periods covered was that of the English Civil War since the Battle of Worcester was the final victory of Cromwell over the King. After a couple of hours there, I walked down Friar Street, where my hotel is located, and which has, according to the tourist office, the largest number of old structures in the city.
Returned to the hotel, did a bit more blog catch-up, and then went out for some dinner. It's different, having to be responsible again for my own food. Now I'm back writing this, having caught up on the canal trip blogs. Since I don't know what computer availability will be in my parish holiday lodgings, I suppose I might fall behind again. Ah, well. Since the pictures are no longer so well integrated into the blog, it isn't as useful for me as the permanent record of my trip although I still enjoy sharing what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment