Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Iceland Day 1

I've thought for a while I should have a blog for keeping friends informed when I travel (KoreaAdventure worked well for that 2009 trip but is incorrectly named for anything happening now). Hence, News from Shirley -- not particularly original but quite accurate.

Today is Tuesday, August 17, 2010, which would have been my mom's 100th birthday, clearly a significant date. I arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland, about 7:30 a.m. local time (2:30 a.m. Minnesota time). It's now 7:30 p.m., and I'm trying desperately to keep awake for another hour or two with the hope of beating jet lag. Given that Sunday night I got about 6 hours sleep (up till after 2 a.m. packing) and Monday night about 3 fitful hours on the plane, my body is demanding rest. So I'll see how long I can keep going.

I did pretty well today. After breakfast here at the hotel (the manager graciously allowed me to substitute breakfast today for Friday's since that day I have to be at the airport too early to eat), staff got a room cleaned ahead of schedule so I could deposit my stuff (too much, as usual) and head off for sightseeing. I walked through most of the main shopping area, wandered over to the harbor, took a 2+ hour whale watching boat trip, saw a 15 minute movie on the recent volcano, bought a ticket for a Thursday sightseeing trip, and found a vegetarian restaurant for dinner. Food here is incredibly expensive, and there are typically few vegetables included making it difficult for this Weight Watcher to stick to her program. (26 pounds down and more to go.) Now I'm in my room, trying to get organized, mentally as well as stuff-wise, and then off to bed.

I took some pictures which I'd like to share, but I don't have the brain power at the moment to download and upload (is that the correct terminology?). Maybe tomorrow. The weather is quite lovely -- probably spectacular for Iceland. Quite sunny, only a few puffy white clouds in a blue sky, with temperatures reaching the low 60's. It's supposed to continue like that at least through Thursday. Hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment