Sunday, September 12, 2010

London -- Sept. 12, 2010

I definitely wanted to visit Kew Gardens on this visit. Saved it for the last day since weather information indicated the weather would be best today. -- And it was. Blue skies, sunshine, and temperatures approaching 70. A nice day for being outside.

Arrived at the Gardens a little after 11. Had a sausage roll for brunch while I studied the map. Probably ended up walking 3 or 4 miles, but it was so nice and on paths rather than concrete that I really didn't notice. Despite Kew
having lost hundreds of trees in a storm in 1987, there are still some large and old ones around.
This sweet chestnut dates from the early 18th century.

There is a treetop walkway, 110 steps up, which allows one to walk above and in some trees, including some of those huge sweet chestnuts.


There's a small lake in the middle of the gardens with an angled bridge across it.

Kew is known for its "glass houses." The Palm House is the iconic one seen in most pictures of Kew Gardens. It's seen here from the rose garden side; there were actually still a few roses.


On the other, front, side, there was a lineup of Queen's Beasts. Here I am with the Lion of England.

I left Kew about 2:15 hoping to get to St. Paul's Cathedral for a 3:15 Evensong. To avoid changing tube lines I decided to go to Blackfriar's and walk. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed the fine print on the tube map which indicated that station was closed. So had to go to the next station. Then I walked several blocks in the wrong direction; it's amazing that I tend to walk the wrong way out of a tube station about 90% of the time. Anyway, I was late for Evensong but did get there in enough time for the ceremony of "Admission of Choristers." Four new boys had the formal ceremony and were issued their cassocks. They were incredibly young and tiny. But it was sweet, especially after the Evensong when friends and relatives came around to congratulate them. The singing was lovely, and the surroundings impressive. We sat under the dome.

Following the Evensong there was an organ concert at 4:45, one in a series of Sunday afternoon concerts highlighting the English Organ Sonata. This piece, written in 1937 by Percy Whitlock, wasn't particularly memorable (in my opinion), but it was fun hearing the organ, particularly in that setting.
At 5:30 I was heading for the hotel, remembering that I had to walk one station past Blackfriar's. Along Victoria Embankment the street was closed off to traffic as marchers gathered for a parade that was part of the Mayor's Thames Festival which ends tonight with fireworks. I'm too tired, and have to pack, so I won't be watching the parade or the fireworks. But it was fun seeing the marchers gather -- some really weird stuff.



I thought the juxtaposition of this "float" with Cleopatra's Needle (an Egyptian obelisk that was given by Egypt upon the defeat of Napoleon) was particularly interesting.


Finally got to the subway and back to "my" station. Checked around at a couple of hotels in the area as possible future choices. This hotel is fine -- but far too expensive. Despite the cost, however, I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant; didn't have the energy to go out.

Need to pack and organize for my flight tomorrow. Need to leave for the airport about 10 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment