Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Uganda (Bwindi to Entebbe) -- January 17, 2011

We left Buomo at 8:40 a.m. after taking a few minutes to go to the park headquarters so I could purchase the official photo of the Rushegura family for a souvenir and also to the closest shop to buy some miniature carved gorillas as gifts for some young friends (and one for me). I wanted to patronize the local community carvers.

There was some lovely scenery, particularly at the start -- looking back at the mountains

The ride back to Entebbe was just as bad as the drive from Entebbe, except that we didn’t hit the dreadful traffic jam in Mbarara. We stopped at the same place (Agip motel and restaurant) for lunch. Upon arrival I found four of the six people who’d been on yesterday’s marathon trek. We took a “reunion” photo. Since I’d seen the wife of the remaining couple at the camp just before we left, there was confirmation that we all survived and were still mobile.

Arrived at the Imperial Golf View Hotel in Entebbe a little after 7 p.m. This is luxury and opulence! Had a good dinner, paid for a day’s worth of internet, and retired to my room to catch up on my blog. I got so involved that all of a sudden it was 2:30 a.m.! At that point the internet connection disappeared. Didn’t know what was wrong but decided that was a sign that I definitely should go to bed!

1 comment: