Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Uganda (Entebbe) -- January 18, 2011

Despite a bedtime of 3 a.m., I woke up at 8 and got up. Discovered upon checking with the desk that the internet provider had had problems which was the cause of the disruption.

After a good breakfast, I walked around the hotel and grounds. This is certainly a far distance from my recent accommodations. It is quite lovely and very luxurious. Apparently the hotel was built with the hopes of being a business and conference center since there are some very nice meeting facilities. There do not appear to be many people staying here at the moment. Sam told me that the original owner had gone bankrupt when business did not develop as planned, and the building was purchased by the Imperial hotel group.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the contrast with my previous Ugandan lodgings.











Welcoming visitors at the entrance











I sat outside enjoying several cups of coffee and wrote some blog material on Word while awaiting an internet connection. I will try to post as much as I can today since tomorrow we leave for Tororo on the volunteer portion of the trip whereby I will probably again be out of internet range. Also did some resting, having laundry done, repacking, etc., etc.

The other 11 volunteers on the trip (4 of us are from St. John’s, my church which paid for the building of the clinic in Kayoro Village) will be arriving tonight on the same 8:15 flight on which I arrived six days ago. A lot has happened in those six days!

No comments:

Post a Comment