Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bali and Korea 2012 --The trip begins (March 12 & 13)

En Route

There is little to be said about travelling that requires 3 planes, 2 taxis, an intra-airport tram, and 30 hours from leaving my home in St. Paul to arriving at the hotel in Bali. However, I survived, and it could have been far worse.

The United AL agent at MSP worked hard and was able to get my luggage checked all the way through. Because I was on a separate, domestic, ticket to Chicago, I was afraid that I would have to pick up luggage there and then haul it to Korean Air and recheck. Not having to do that was great --and the luggage arrived safely at my final destination!

I was able to get an aisle seat on the Chicago to Seoul leg of the journey although one had not been available when I originally tried. On all three planes I was able to sleep a little, accumulating about 6 hours of dozing during the course of the trip. Saw a couple of movies, including The Descendants, which I had wanted to see when it was at the Grandview Theater but hadn’t been able to, and Moneyball, which.was enjoyable.

My friend Helen and I were met at the airport by our mutual friend Monte who has lived in Bali for over 10 years as a retiree. It was pouring rain so we were very grateful for Monte’s help. This is the end of the rainy season, but we were told the ferocity and length of tonight’s rain was unusual.


Arrival

Monte got us safely to the hotel and then provided lovely flower arrangements to brighten our rooms.

The hotel, Kusuma Resort, is quite nice -- not the fanciest, but also not the most expensive. Helen got a pretty good deal (I think) using her internet skills. One of the advantages is that it is so close to Monte's house so getting together will be easy. Here are some pictures of the resort.

The entry gates to the grounds.

Looking along the side of the hotel


















Reception and dining









My room -- doors lead to balcony

View from the balcony


All is reasonably well and I am well situated as I begin this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment