Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bali and Korea -- March 25, 2012

Final (and random) thoughts about Bali

It’s an interesting place to visit; I wouldn’t want to live here. Too hot, too humid. That leads to everything aging fast. It’s hard to tell new buildings from old. Monte’s friend Shirley noted that she had to wage a constant battle against mildew, and the mosquito population appears to exceed that of Minnesota, some carrying malaria or dengue fever. I really hate the treatment of animals; seeing all the emaciated dogs and cats was painful, Close to 100% of the male population smokes so the smell of cigarettes is everywhere; first time I’ve been in a restaurant and smelled smoke in years. Incense is also all-pervasive. Many visitors would find that acceptable or like it; I don’t. I don’t understand how the physically handicapped or even the old or infirm get around. Curbs are very high, and sidewalks are quite narrow and poorly maintained; stairs are everywhere, usually with no alternative.

However, the scenery is gorgeous. All that rain does make things lushly green. The sea is beautiful, and, Bali being an island, there’s a lot of seashore to enjoy. There are also mountains, well high hills, which make for a variety of terrain. The people we met seemed to be quite pleasant and very accommodating. The culture is interesting although exposure to Nyepi is at the far end of my comfort level with different.

I am very happy I had this extended stay but don’t plan to move my retirement location.


Now for Korea. . . .

The flight to Korea was less miserable than many. Korean Air has a bit more leg room, the plane wasn’t totally full (although the seat next to me was occupied), and, given the departure time of 4 a.m., lights were quickly dimmed and shades drawn. So I did get a little sleep.

My friends had given me directions on the airport bus number and door location so I was able quickly to be on my way to Apkujong, the area south of the Han River where they live. I had telephoned from the airport so my friend and host InAe met the bus, and together we pulled my luggage to her apartment building. I have been and stayed here so many times that I felt as if I were returning home!

InSook, InAe’s sister and my Save the Children-Korea friend, came over at 3. We discussed some activities and my schedule and then went to a nearby rice restaurant for dinner. InSook went directly to her home from the restaurant, and InAe and I returned home where I did some unpacking while listening to news on MPR over my computer. President Obama and I are both in Seoul at the moment, but the details of my visit are not being broadcast!

I will blog as I can from Korea (since MPR isn’t covering me), but I’m sure there will be less information (and what there is may well be less interesting) than the recent posts from Bali. My primary purpose in visiting Korea is to see friends. So there won’t be as much in the way of sights and photos as there was in Bali. If you really want to see pictures of Korea and get lots (more than you need) of information about living in Korea, look at the blog I wrote three years ago while living here for three months: http://koreaadventure.blogspot.com

But keep watching here to find out what is currently going on -- if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment