Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bali and Korea -- March 15, 2012

After another too-early start to the day (jet lag continues), I breakfasted at leisure in the open reception/food area at the hotel. Since that’s where the WiFi reception is, I did some e-mail and blogging, during and after breakfast, then gathered myself together for the short walk to Monte’s house where he’d invited us for lunch again.

Monte rents part of the one-story building from a friend. He has a living room, bedroom, and bath, which look out onto a central courtyard which also contains a large, open-air, kitchen. His friend has accommodations at the end of the structure but travels a lot so is often not home, leaving the place to Monte – and his large retinue of houseboys and hangers-on. There are always people about in the complex.

Here are some pictures of Monte’s house.

This is the courtyard. Monte's friend, who owns the compound, lives in the rooms straight ahead. Monte's rooms are to the right.

The living room. Bathroom is off to the left; bedroom to the right. The room has sliding glass doors opening into the courtyard. An air conditioner and several fans make sure the space is livable, despite heat and humidity.

The kitchen area, open to the courtyard space on two sides, is large and well-equipped. Other than drinks, Monte doesn't do a lot here. That's what the cook is for!

Monte quite enjoys, and takes pride in, his martinis so he gave us a lesson in making the perfect martini, involving the correct proportions of good quality gin and vermouth, shaking properly with ice, and a well-chilled glass. This is knowledge I will never use, but I suppose is good to have.











Starting the perfect martini -- and the finish!










After lunch and doing some planning for upcoming trips away from Seminyak, the coastal town near Denpasar where we’re staying, Monte took us to a lovely batik shop. Unfortunately, because we needed to get there quickly so he could get to a later appointment on time, we once again travelled as motorcycle passengers. It is practical transportation, but continues to scare the dickens out of me, coward that I am. However, once again we arrived in one piece.

If I didn’t have multiple sewing/craft projects at home awaiting completion (or starting), I would have bought some material. It is gorgeous stuff. But I contented myself with a couple small, souvenir, purchases. Monte left us, and Helen and I continued window shopping on our way back to the hotel via one of the main shopping streets. Lots to look at, but I didn’t buy.

It was hot and a bit humid (it’s the end of the rainy season) so we stopped along the way to look at things inside, in air conditioning, and to get a cool drink. We walked for several hours, covering I would guess about 3 miles on crowded sidewalks which one must tread carefully since holes and drop offs are common.

I had planned on a swim in the lovely pool, which I haven’t yet been in, but my feet and legs only wanted to be up and resting so instead I lay on the bed, reading and then napping. Guess my tourist stamina isn’t what it used to be!

At 5:30 Monte stopped by to go to dinner. Helen and I, on our way back earlier, had seen that the restaurant at the Haven Hotel (a large, luxury, hotel next door to us) had a special Martini Night with a guitar player. We thought going to that would carry out the “Martini” theme for the day so marched Monte over there. Apparently Martini Night is a weekly occurrence, and he’d been there previously but still appreciated our planning.

After a good meal (I combined soup with an appetizer) we walked next door to our hotel, and I went to bed – by 10:30. Was still tired from the day’s walking in the heat and humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment