Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bali and Korea -- March 26 & 27, 2012

My friend InAe lives in one of the ubiquitous high rise apartment buildings south of the Han River. The complex is old, by Seoul standards, but is very nice. Having stayed with her on and off since my second visit to Korea in 1988, I have seen changes and improvements she has made to the unit, particularly after her daughter and son each married and moved out. I feel as if the computer/guest room is “mine!”

Building 63 of the Hyundai Apartments

On a visit in 2008 I needed a computer, and hers wasn’t working so she introduced me to the family living just underneath her because she knew that they had a computer and spoke English since the family had lived in the U.S. for several years while the husband was at university. Their then 8-year old daughter was pretty fluent in English because she’d been in nursery school/kindergarten in the States. From that time on HaeJung and her daughter MinJu (now 12) and I became good friends. I saw a lot of them when I was here for three months in 2009.

HaeJung’s family lives on the first floor (closed curtains) while InAe lives on the second (laundry visible).

At 9 a.m. on the 26th as I was hauling myself out of bed, InAe arrived back home (I didn’t realize she was gone) with her “helper,” a woman who comes several times a month, primarily to cook but also to do laundry. InAe then left to go to a reunion of her Ehwa High School choir, and I enjoyed the smells of good cooking all morning.



When InAe returned she began assisting with the food preparation process which went on until 6 p.m. Food was refrigerated and frozen and will be available for several weeks of meals.





After MinJu returned from school (6th grade), I went downstairs to visit them. I was absolutely amazed when I saw them. MinJu had grown a lot, not really unexpected between the ages of 9 and 12, but still surprising. Even more of a shock was HaeJung, who has lost a lot of weight and gotten an incredibly cute haircut. She looks great!!! The contrast is clear from a comparison of this picture from 2009 and one taken today. She is legitimately proud of her accomplishment. It took a lot of effort on her part.
















Since none of us could figure out how to hook up my computer to InAe’s internet link, HaeJung suggested I piggy-back on her WiFi signal. Since their modem is underneath “my” room at InAe’s, the connection is very strong. So I was able to use the several blogs I’d already written in Word on my computer and the pictures I’d downloaded to get the blog updated.

As too often happens, there were hassles with blogspot moving pictures and changing typeface helter skelter. But I did get some postings done successfully.

On Tuesday, March 27, I joined HaeJung to attend her 9 a.m. dance/aerobic class. It was fun, but those young women move energetically and fast! They use the same routines every day (HaeJung faithfully goes Monday through Friday every week) so move smoothly along, not really needing a leader. I was often several paces behind, moving left when everyone else was going right and thrusting my arms firmly in the air as all the others had them behind their backs! And, as the hour went on, the dances were faster making my confusion greater. But I kept moving and did get my heart rate up, the primary goal for me. From the camera angle you can note my location -- firmly at the back of the room, trying to stay out of everyone's way! This ain't your St. Paul YWCA Forever Fit class. . . !

HaeJung then went on to her gym to do some further exercise and take another class. I declined, instead heading for a coffee shop and buying a croissant!

Later in the afternoon HaeJung and MinJu went with me (actually I went with them) to the Hanullim Drum store. This is where I purchased my buk (Korean drum) in 2005. I wanted a nicer case for carrying it and knew Hanullim had them. Unfortunately, they’d moved since 2005, and I wasn’t sure how to find the store. HaeJung researched it and got us there directly and easily. I made my purchase and a couple for members of my drumming group.

This is the store and the person who waited on me and gave me a 2,000 won discount (so she said; don’t know why).

We returned by subway stopping at the food area of the Hyundai Department Store to purchase a variety of goodies for supper. We had a feast

and then I returned upstairs where InAe had come back from an emergency stint of caring for a sick granddaughter. Listened to MPR News on my computer and headed for bed at 10:45.

No comments:

Post a Comment