Monday, March 26, 2012

Bali and Korea -- March 21, 2012

Humid and cloudy – but probably just the norms of the rainy season as opposed to the major front we’ve been experiencing. After breakfast (did rain a bit, but stopped quickly) set up the appointment at the Atma Spa in the Haven Hotel for the massage I’ve been thinking about since arrival. Walked to Monte’s to tell him my plans for the day and then went for my 90 minute massage (called the Atma, a combination of techniques according to the receptionist). Because they kept me waiting for 15 minutes (a water problem, they said), they added on an additional 15 minutes to the length of the massage. So a 105 minute lovely massage for under $50 (which is actually fairly pricey for Bali). I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The entry into the spa area was impressive, the lobby area was restful, the massage room was lovely as was the masseuse, and the view as one looked down through the headrest quite enjoyable -- nice to stare at beautiful flowers during the massage.




















There was a hint of rain which never developed as I headed down Jelan Seminyak, the main street I’ve now been on multiple times. Went to the post office to purchase some additional post cards which I wrote while having an iced coffee and a hot dog (they offered yellow mustard and catsup, one couldn’t want more). That way I could immediately mail them at the post office since mail boxes do not seem to be a Balinese thing.

Then I did a little shopping, mostly window, back on Seminyak and then Double Six Street, not its official name but everyone calls it that after the Double Six nightclub located at the end of the street. Bought a shirt – not particularly Balinese, no batik or ikat, but at least it was made in Indonesia. These are some street scenes from Double Six. Note the woman carrying the basket on her head, apparently trying to sell something to the shopkeeper.



















Returned to the Kusuma Hotel and decided to do some pool time. Sitting was fine, but the recent rainfalls had cooled the water below my standards so I didn’t do much swimming.

Monte came over at 6:30 for a cocktail hour and ordered pizza for Helen and me since he’d already eaten. We decided we were too tired to go out, Helen just having returned from her one-day trip to the north coast and I getting ready to leave tomorrow for a two-day trip to the east coast. We had a delightful picnic on Helen’s balcony.

I had noticed that my new blouse had unfinished sleeves and collar which would ravel badly at first washing. Obviously I didn’t look at it carefully enough in the store. Monte suggested that a local tailor could do the finishing quickly and cheaply. Quite true. We took a quick motorcycle ride to the tailor who was still open at 9 p.m. The work will be done by tomorrow afternoon at the cost of $1.50. Can’t beat that. . . . Riding the motorcycle in the dark provided another adventure, but at least there was less traffic, and “the boys” are good motorcycle drivers.

To bed to the sound of rainfall – once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment